Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cover Letters

Some advice that I agree with is that you, as a potential employee, have to be proactive and contact the company instead of just being passive. Putting yourself out there and getting in touch with the hiring manager is the best way to get the job. Also, I agreed with the parts of the tutorial that mentioned selling your abilities and what you can do for the company. You need to research the company and know how you can benefit the company. Being able to explain your abilities and the benefits you have given to other companies will make you stand out more to managers.

The one thing that I disagreed with is putting a postscript after the cover letter has already had its closing and signature. I find that to be slightly tacky. It may be a good technique and it may really work in getting a hiring manager to read your cover letter. However, I do not see myself using this technique when writing my own.

The section that I found most helpful were the sample cover letter and the cover letter checklist. I found these to be most useful because they give me a direction in writing my own cover letter.

No comments: